APRIL IS NATIONAL STRESS AWARENESS MONTH… AND TAX DAY?
… and research shows chronic stress is a causative factor for conditions including depression, anxiety, insomnia, digestive disorders, obesity, high blood pressure, heart disease, and an overall decrease in immune function.
In “Stress in America 2014,” a survey by the American Psychology Association, 1 in 5 respondents reported an extreme level of 8, 9 or 10 on a 10-point scale. In that same group respondents reported physical or non-physical symptoms of stress, including irritability or anger, muscle tension or pain, fatigue, feeling overwhelmed or changes in their sleep.
What is the top source of stress according to 64% of the respondents? Money! So with April’s tax day approaching it’s a good time to find ways to cope with stress.
How does acupuncture help? Acupuncture helps by reducing the stress hormone response, improving quality of sleep, eliminating pain and muscle tension and keeping our energy up and emotions balanced. Balance is the key to health in Chinese medicine!
From a Western viewpoint, the balancing treatments of acupuncture reduce stress a few different ways. First, acupuncture triggers your brain to release natural pain-killing chemicals, called endorphins. It also improves your circulation, not only to keep your tissues oxygenated but to help remove waste products, including cortisol, more efficiently. And of course, the relaxing effects of acupuncture can decrease heart rate and lowers blood pressure.
6 Tips for Coping with Financial Stress
- Take breaks from the computer when doing bookkeeping. Computer work is hard on your neck, shoulders and upper back. Get up every 45 minutes to walk around and stretch. Take deep breaths. Keeping your body relaxed helps your emotions stay level.
- Take charge of your finances. Track your earnings and spending every day for a month. When you have a clear picture of your income and expenses make a reasonable spending plan to keep them balanced. Don’t budget on what you hope you’ll make or wish you’ll spend. Be realistic. Having a budget will give you control and reduce your financial stress.
- Plan your splurges. It’s difficult to stick with a financial plan if it is overly restrictive and deprives you of what you love. Budget in treats.
- Balance making more with spending less. Sometimes taking extra shifts at work is smart and sometimes spending less is the best plan. Make conscious choices about which strategy gives you the most pleasure.
- Plan your shopping trips to avoid impulse buys. Stick to a list and make sure you are fed, hydrated and relaxed before you go.
- Find support. A friendly ear for feedback when you’re tempted to blow your budget.
Even though few people celebrate Tax Day, it doesn’t have to be stressful. Call and book a free consultation to find out how acupuncture can help you through the difficult times.
Stay Well —VikkiJon Gill
Allergies and Traditional Chinese Medicine
With the official start of spring just weeks away, there’s no better time than now to consider using popular forms of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). As mother nature comes out of its state of dormancy, flowers and trees will begin to blossom and the snow-capped landscape will be replaced with flowing green grass. This massive change comes with an unwelcome side effect: ALLERGIES!
According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (ACAAI), approximately 50 million people in the United States suffer from seasonal allergies. When exposed to pollen or other plant allergens, the individual may develop a runny nose, nasal congestion, eye redness, headache, sore throat, and other related symptoms.
Whether you suffer from mild, moderate or severe seasonal allergies, acupuncture can help. This centuries-old technique can restore your body’s flow of energy while stimulating its self-healing mechanism.
The best time to come in for treatment of allergies is before they start. Getting the immune system in shape is key before it’s bombarded by these allergens. So the time is now! Shake off those winter blues and get ready for SPRING!
Interested but not sure if this is right for you? Book a free consultation to talk one-on-one with me and see how acupuncture can help you.
Stay well — VikkiJon Gill
Would you like to have a body lotion that moisturizes and nourishes your skin but doesn’t contain all the chemicals that put harmful toxins into your body? Well, we have good news for you!
We are pleased to introduce Nourish Hand & Body Lotion, a lightweight moisturizer perfect for daily rejuvenation, replacing dry damaged skin with a youthful radiance. This antioxidant rich formula uses a synergistic blend of vitamins and intense hydrators leaving the skin feeling velvety soft and refreshed, without feeling greasy!
Nourish Hand and Body Lotion is packed full of vitamins, beneficial extracts and essential oils.
Some of these essential oils and their known uses are listed below:
Chamomile – Very calming
Lavender Oil – calming, helps with skin regeneration, sunspots and scarring, great for mature skin and all skin types
Geranium Oil – known to regulate oil production, reduce acne breakouts, tightens skin by improving elasticity, reduce appearance of wrinkles, improve circulation, heal bruises and many other skin conditions.
Petitgrain – used to tone and purify the skin, is beneficial for skin and hair health, also used aromatically to mentally refresh and balance, has been used to treat excessive perspiration and oily skin and hair.
Ylang Ylang – helps control oil production and minimize breakouts, helps regenerate skin cells, smoothes fine line and improves skin elasticity. Great for all skin types.
Helichrysum – Great anti-aging treatment, helps to reduce wrinkles and scars, breaking up fibrotic and necrotic tissue, can also
help stop bruising.
Combat dry skin this winter so it stays hydrated to keep its soft supple form.
Once we turn on the heat to keep warm it instantly starts to suck the moisture we love so much out of our skin and the air. Any form of heat will do this. Dry skin not only looks dull but can cause premature aging causing fines lines, wrinkles and also damage the texture of the skin on the face and body. If you are experiencing dry skin this winter seek professional help as to which products would be best for your skin condition. Here at Renewal Skin Spa our professionals give valuable advice on a daily basis with great results.
Here are a few ways to help your skin;
1. Keep temperatures you can control to about 68-70 degrees at the max. Lower is better but we know it is hard in the harsh winters we experience in Michigan so 68-70 degrees is a good start. Once our bodies adapt to the cold we are able to lower the thermostats by 1 degree weekly until you reach a home temperature of 65-67 degrees. This should be a good start.
2. Steamy hot showers are loved by all in winter but can be damaging to the skin when they are on a consistent basis. Take warm showers which also helps us unwind when an occasional steamy hot shower is in order.
3. Always apply a moisturizer to the body after a shower and before bed. This will help hydrate the body and lock in much needed body moisture. Our new Nourish Medical® Hand and Body cream has given great success to patients and everyone that has tried it just absolutely love its. Mentions this blog for 20% off our Nourish Medical® Hand and Body Cream during December 2014.
4. Using a moisturizer which worked great for us in the summer months may not be sufficient in the winter months. A cream based moisturizer in much needed for most skin in the winter months. If you need advice on which would be appropriate for your face and or body give us a call or stop in so we may guide you towards a peak performing product which would be suitable for your unique skin.
5. Drink plenty of water. Not only is this important for our skin but also our health. Substitute the extra soda or coffee for a glass of water to help achieve a daily minimum consumption of 8 glasses of water; your body will thank you.
6. Wear SPF and topical vitamin C with antioxidants daily. SPF is not only for the summer months. Apply SPF to all exposed areas of the body. Reapply if necessary. Contact us for a SPF tutorial.
7. Turn on a humidifier. At the very least keep them in the areas of your home you spend the most time.
8. Now for those hands. It is key to wear gloves when going outdoors. Wear a moisturizer that works. It is key to put on a moisturizer at night before bed to allow it to hydrate the skin and lock in key moisture. During the day we wash our hands which can cause further drying so before you go to bed it is imperative to hydrate our hands to allow the product to replenish the skin throughout the night hours.
For more valuable tips contact us for a complimentary consultation so one of our experts may further assist you with questions and guide you on your skin.Jon Gill
Join us for our annual event to THANK YOU! Without you we would not be such a success. We will be having the best specials of the year on Laser, Chemical Peels, Facials, Botox, Fillers, skin care products and much more. Plus enter to win great services and products the night of the event. Enjoy hors d’oeuvres, cocktails, refreshments and of course just a fun time with friends.
Renewal Skin Spa is excited to announce our Clothing Closet Drive for the Grand Rapids Women’s Resource Center.
Now through September you can help the Women’s Resource Center empower women to dress for success and be interview-ready by providing gently used business attire and more. For a complete list of items needed, please click the following links:
The Women’s Resource Center serves over 400 women annually through the Working Women’s Clothing Closet. Each woman they help is provided up to three outfits during a personal shopping appointment. They seek to break down every conceivable barrier a woman might experience when she enters the job market for the first time or reenters after some time away.
In 2011, 112 Women’s Resource Center clients started new jobs with annual wages totaling over $1.7 million, thanks to the career services they received.
Whether or not you have an appointment, stop by Renewal Skin Spa to drop off your items and help women all over West Michigan. Renewal Skin Spa is giving 10% off coupons for each donation as a way to show our appreciation.
Thank you, in advance, for your donation and your help in making this clothing drive a great success!Jon Gill
One of the most delicate skin areas, the eyes can show early signs of aging. At Renewal we have the solutions to protect this delicate skin area.
1. Botox® cosmetic is an injectable that works selectively and precisely to relax fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes, on the forehead and on the face. Patients love this non-surgical, no downtime, 15 minute treatment to both prevent and treat crow’s feet. Renewal Skin Spa is a Platinum provider of Botox with two expert injectors to meet your needs.
4. As always, medical-grade eye creams will continually prolong treatments while reducing fine lines, wrinkles, and brightening your under eye area. Our favorite products include Neo-Cutis Lumiere eye cream and Neo-Cutis Riche eye cream. Don’t forget your lashes! Latisse is the only FDA approved product to grow lashes longer, fuller, darker.
Not sure what’s product or treatment is right for you? Book an appointment with one of our skin care experts here>Jon Gill
ACT NOW to Double Your Savings on Botox—and more!
Brilliant Distinctions Savings
LIMITED-TIME BRILLIANT DISTINCTIONS OFFER FROM JULY 14 TO AUGUST 28
Now is your chance to earn double Brilliant Distinctions points on any treatment or product from July 14th to August 28th, 2014.
You can see your savings stack up:
EARN 2X the points
RECEIVE up to $200 for future treatments or products
So… if you come in to Renewal Skin Spa for your treatment and you normally get 200 points, you would get 400 points which in turn doubles the dollar amount of your coupon for your next treatment! You can even use any available BD savings.
You’ll earn points towards savings on select Allergan treatments and products and can start earning points by shopping at the BD Mall!
CALL 616-940-1177 to make your appointment today!
Brilliant Distinctions® members can receive bonus points on select Allergan treatments and products from July 14 — August 28, 2014. A maximum of 1,000 bonus points can be issued during this time. Bonus points issued during this promotion will expire on 12/31/2014.Angela Gill
By fully understanding the science behind optimal skin function, we have formulated and only carry products lines that succeed in returning the skin to an environment that encourages its innate mechanisms for renewal. At Renewal our team of experts studies and tries the products to ensure efficacy and safety to bring you the highest in standards.
Skincare 101 – Why do we need healthy skin?
Absorption: Skin permits substances like water and oxygen to pass through its tissues.
Excretion: Skin facilitates removal of toxins from the body through perspiration.
Hydration: Skin contains water to keep itself soft and supple. It secretes sweat and an oily sebaceous fluid that maintains skin’s natural moisture balance.
Protection: Skin shields the body from environmental aggressors such as heat, cold, and pathogenic bacteria.
Regulation: Skin helps regulate body temperature.
Respiration: Skin takes in oxygen through the pores and releases carbon dioxide.
Sensation: Nerve endings located just under the outer layer of the skin make us aware of cold, heat, pain and pleasure.
So this month lets work on the skins pH
A healthy balance of skin pH will help with all the above to promote a more balanced environment for the skins natural functions.
What proper skin pH does (between 4.6 to 5)
- Allows the skin to absorb nutrients in skincare.
- Optimizes resident flora (healthier levels of microorganisms).
- Alleviates skin sensitivity.
- Constricts follicles and reduces pore size.
- Tightens and firms the skin.
- Keeps skin clear of debris.
- Encourages new skin cell turnover.
- Helps skin regulate its natural moisture factor production.
Factors that affect skin pH
- Lack of proper skin care products. Most often individuals are using the wrong cosmetic products. We are individual along with our skin and all require a customized skin care plan designed by an expert for your unique skin.
- Weather: Too much heat, cold and humidity.
- Water (especially chlorinated, pH7 is too alkaline for optimal skin functions)
- Diet: One high in acid-forming foods (meat, dairy, sugar, refined carbs)
- Emotional imbalances: Anxiety, depression, fear, worries, etc. can interfere with the secretions of our glands by suppressing or over stimulating them, altering the quality of the acid mantle. Skin looks dull due to the lack of circulating oxygen induced by stress.
- Environment: All pollutants. UV rays are alkaline in nature.
Hello and welcome to my blog!
Where we will practice finding health through mindfulness + Chinese medicine.
In my blogs to come there may be some terms that sound foreign. So I thought I would start by giving a quick overview of the basic theory of Chinese medicine and define a few of those terms.
To begin, as opposed to the western concept of medicine, which can be about dealing with illness and disease, Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) focuses on the practice of achieving health and well being through the cultivation of harmony within our lives.
Harmony is achieved through balance + the unhindered movement of our QI.
(Ah ha! this is where some of those terms start sneaking in!)
Balance in TCM is explained using the theory of YIN + YANG. The image represents harmony of all the opposite elements + forces that make up life. This theory is applied to everything affecting our health and well being; from our diet, exercise, and how we handle stress; to how we interact with our family, friends, community, and our environmentWhen there is balance our QI, the vital energy in our body, flows freely. . . but when there is kink in the system the movement of our QI gets hindered which leads to pain and disease.
So what affects our Qi? Everything! Stress, diet, exercise, sleep, trauma to the body, trauma to the heart, the interactions we have, the emotions we harbor, our ability to see the positive (or lack of), the weather, and the big one in my book . . . our ability to be flexible and let go of control when necessary.
In TCM treatment, we use acupuncture, herbal therapy, eastern philosophies on diet, exercise and meditation to bring us back to harmony.
This is just the beginning of the explanation. Come back to read more about Chinese medicine including acupuncture, herbal teas for medicinal purposes, healthy recipes, current medical research and mindful living.
Want help finding balance in your life? Call and make an appointment and see how restoring your Qi dynamic can help with both physical and emotional symptoms.
Interested but not sure if this is right for you? Book a free consultation to talk one-on-one and see how acupuncture can help you.
Vikki Nestico R.Ac., MSTOM, Dipl. OM